Friday, November 30, 2012

When Should You Ask For Advice?

My family is full if drama queens (and kings!).  Sometimes, it's easy to get caught up in the drama.  One good way is when you have a problem, to ask EVERYONE you know for advice.  O.K.- maybe the thinking is the more advice you get, the more choices you have to make a decision.  Sorry, this just muddles the water.  It's more like the more people you ask, the  more probable it is you'll hear the advice you're really looking for.

Another reason this is a bad idea, is because if someone takes the time to give you advice, they genuinely believe you are interested in their insight, and expect that you might go the path they suggest.  So, the more people invested in your drama, the more people you're likely to tick off.

So, when is it o.k. to ask for advice?  When you have a CRITICAL problem, and you know someone that might have been in the same, or similar, situation.  For example, substitute teaching is NOT for me, but it's my current profession.  It's not in my chemistry to handle being called a bitch all day long, and to have to raise my voice in a futile effort to gain control of young people.  So, I asked my very long-time friend, who has been teaching long before I was in her middle school science class.  This is a qualified person to give me guidance.  I didn't call twenty friends or family members to ask what I should do, because 1) they don't know the rules of today's school system, 2) they are not teachers, and 3) they don't deal with 25 children in one setting.

Another time it's o.k. to look for advice is with your spouse, because often, when you make a decision, even if it doesn't involve marital things, it can affect your mood, your confidence or other aspects that ultimately effect your relationship.  For example, I am currently having issues with a family member.  I was initially livid.  I didn't discuss the problem with Roger, because I wanted to be able to have an objective conversation with him.  I know when I'm upset, it disturbs him because we have a balance.  So one day after my problem arose and I had time to think about it, I shared with Roger and we came up with some viable solutions.

So MY ADVICE is (haha), use discretion when you ask for advice! 

P.S. Tonight is Everclear!! :)

Here's the song of the day.  Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment