Monday, November 19, 2012

An Afterthought

I forgot to mention something else about today.  During my planning period, I was super bored, so I pulled out the children's writing folders and read what they wrote.  One assignment was to write about their homes. It appeared that most students lived in modest homes.  In fact, only one student appeared proud of where she lives. I also learned that most of them lived in "loud" neighborhoods, and the noises keep the students awake at night and they wake up tired.

Another assignment was to write about being granted wishes from a genie.  Almost unanimously, the students would have wished for a million dollars, a PS3, and a bike.  One sweet child wished for more time with his family.  One story, however, really made me think.  The student wrote that he wished for a dirt bike, and his wish was granted.  But in the story, he says that when he went to bed, someone stole his new bike, and he had to go to the bank the next day and get more money to buy another bike and a chain.  How sad that this child's instinct was to include crime as a part of life even in his fantasy world.......

No comments:

Post a Comment