Saturday, November 17, 2012

Now I Remember.....

Roger and I were both wide awake before 5:00 this morning.  Well, I was wide awake, and as he frequently reminds me, I wake him up when I'm awake first and I get bored.  (I don't feel bad though, because 1) I want him to know how excited I am to see him and talk to him in the morning, and 2) he can fall easily fall asleep anywhere.  He fell asleep standing up at a concert once.  Of, course alcohol was involved.)

So we were awake.  It was so cold last night that something froze in my sinus cavity, so there was a whistling sound every time I inhaled.  I also discovered I had (have) achy ribs.  It felt like I was sucker-kicked in my sleep.  Roger said it was gas, but that's just gross and unacceptable, especially considering I already had one gross condition this morning with the nose whistle.


Number of School Days
Per Year by Country
Anyway, I digress.  At that time, I remembered my blog idea from yesterday morning.  On the classroom wall yesterday, I read an article about may areas of the country that are moving to have 4-day school weeks to save money.  The shorter week apparently saves an average of $200,000 per year, mostly in school bus gas and utilities.  (Don't know how much money the additional child care costs parents.....)  Anyway, how sad that $200,000 is so significant that we short our children's educations when the government only speaks about spending when there's the word "billion" involved.

The article then went on to show a list of the number of school days by country.  And while I cannot find the Scholastic article online, I did find a similar list.

So, why do we frequently ponder why our country ranks so low against other countries in education?

No comments:

Post a Comment