Sunday, November 4, 2012

Thrift Shopping and VegFest


Roger and I had a super great weekend.   We early voted on Friday. Then we went to the movies to see Argo.  Very good movie!
Saturday, we got up and went to the VegFest 2012 in Riverside.  Very interesting.  I’ve been considering becoming a vegetarian, because I just don’t care for meat unless I prepare it (and not even then sometimes).  But the fake meat we sampled just didn’t do anything for me.  I’d rather just go without, rather than eat something that looks like meat, but has the consistency of tofu.  The funny thing was, we were introduced to Seitan (pronounced Satan) by the Vegan Black Metal Chef.  He was very entertaining and his food was delicious.  We bought his DVD. ( You can watch him on YouTube.)   Afterwards, we went home and walked to the Skyrail and rode all of its routes (for free).  Then, we discovered the Jacksonville Library.  Wow!  That’s all I can say……  Later that night, we watched Sweeney Todd.  When we were in London, we saw Sweeney Todd’s barbershop, so I thought it would be neat to watch.  Bloody and disgusting.  That’s the extent of it.  Oh, and it’s partly a musical.  Gag.  So, Roger and I decided to try to communicate like that (by singing to each other).  This is another good way to get a good belly laugh- sing like you’re in a musical to your partner.  Please try this one day.
Today, we got up and headed to the Rust: Vintage sale in San Marco.  It was a small venue.  Part of the booths were so reasonable in prices and the others were ridiculous.  One extreme to another.  I found a nice bag to go with my vintage suitcase collection and a cone shaped measuring glass to go with that collection.  (So far, I’m collecting blue, green and clear glass, rulers, measuring cups, religious icons, suitcases, records, tea cups, vintage drinking glasses, Fontanini nativity pieces and kitchen gadgets.  Too much, I know…..)
After the vintage sale, we found Jacksonville’s largest flea market.  That was fun.  I found a really good bakery- Motions Sweets.  I got a very yummy toasted coconut cupcake with excellent flavor, presentation and packaging for $2.  I’ll never make it in the cupcake business, but that’s o.k.
Then, we ventured on to Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach.  We checked out some over -priced antique shops.  Then, we decided to walk around on the back roads.  That’s when we found The Pickers Market.  I highly recommend this antique mall.  I found an old rolling stool for a great price.  They had a very friendly employee, too.
When we came home, I was inspired to be crafty so I pulled out the sewing machine my friend gave me.  Let me just say, 1) I don’t know how to sew; and 2) I assumed I could read the directions and figure it out.  I am a directions geek.  I love reading manuals and instructions; illustrations thrill me as well.  However, even with the manual, I cannot thread this bobber correctly, because I cannot make the needle pull the bobbin thread through, no matter how meticulous I try to be.  Aughhhh.  I wish I had someone to help me.  L  Roger and I have a “who’s more crafty” contest going.  How am I supposed to win?!!?
Last, I applied for a job I really want yesterday.  Please pray that the Bank loves my resume and insists on hiring me for a super high salary and they want me to start tomorrow.
Bye for now!
 Vintage glass collection.  New cone-shape piece in center of picture.
 Jacksonville Skyrail.
 New vintage suitcase on top of the stack (on right side of photo).
 Porcelain collection.
 Roger in Fernandina Beach.
 New stool, from The Pickers Market.

 Vegan Black Metal Chef- Vegfest 2012.
New nightlight I made. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment