Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Night at the Cathedral

I wish you could see my face!  I'm smiling soooo big!  I LOVE volunteering.

Tonight, Roger and I are staying at the Cathedral.  Three or four times a year, our new church hosts homeless families in a program called Family Promise.  This time, they're hosting two families (single mothers with children) for one week. After this, I guess they stay at another church.

So, Roger and I are the hosts for tonight.  It's much nicer than I anticipated.  I was just told to bring our sleeping bags and be here at 7:00 (we were also invited for dinner).  Well, we don't own sleeping bags, so I took one of the memory foam covers from our bed and packed a quilt and some pillows in my bag-lady cart.  I also popped some popcorn  and we heated up some left over meatloaf, and off we went.

When we arrived, it turned out our quarters for the evening are a huge lounge that has couches, Wi-Fi, a fireplace, a library, etc., all just for us.  The families, each have their own floor with private quarters. We were given the tour and told to make ourselves at home in the giant kitchen and dining hall.  (Roger's excited because we're sleeping over at Baby Jesus's house... lol)

So, we've been here about half an hour and we met one of the mothers.  She was super sweet. I'm still glad I talked Roger into coming because the church had a big break-in just last month.  And, the park outside is always filled with people who have no where else to go.  But if I'm not protected here, where would I be protected?  I guess I still need to work on my faith.

Anyway, I'm tired already, so I'm going to take a nap.  Peace out.


No comments:

Post a Comment