Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Women's Clothing

Happy Wednesday.

Something to ponder: why, in today's department stores, are the "womens" size clothing so ugly?  Who decided obscure, loud patterns, peek-a-boo cutouts, ruffles, and sleeveless blouses look good on women who weigh more than 180 pounds?  Who decided that clothes for plus size women need to look like they are blown up versions of 100% polyester clothes that might have been purchased at K-Mart for someone's great grandmother?  Why is there only one store-front chain (Lane Bryant) where you can find somewhat trendy clothes for size 14 and above?  And for anyone who didn't know, Lane Bryant isn't cheap!  A bra is $50 and a pair of jeans is $65.  Is it a punishment to women for being large?  Here's my observation of plus size clothing at Burlington, Dillards, Macy's, Penney's, Kohls, and Belks:

  1. Most shirts are pink or purple, with ugly flowers.
  2. More than half of the tops and dresses are sleeveless or shapeless.
  3. Most of the skirts fall above the knee and are flared.
  4. Most of the material is clingy and unforgiving.
  5. All the jeans have rhinestones.
  6. Most of the jeans have the worn look that accentuate our thighs and calves.
  7. A lot of the blouses are midriff length or super long.
  8. Most of the pants are tapered at the end.
Here's some examples:










Here's what I wish I could find:
  1. Non-pastel or non-neon colors.  I like jewel tones and plain black or navy.
  2. I don't want ruffles on my chest.  My chest doesn't need an accent- it's big enough.
  3. I need sleeves- not caps, or poofs, no elastic please.  Half or 3/4 sleeves work fine.
  4. I want my skirts to be straight and below the knee. I am not super tall, so flared makes me look short.  My legs are not super thin, so a pencil skirt is more slimming.
  5. I want my shirts to fall to the middle of my hip.  Not to my belly button, or to the bottom of my butt.  I want the appearance of a waist.
  6. I want my jeans to be uniform in color and cut straight, to make my legs look longer and less curvy.
  7. I don't want any rhinestones or sequence or ribbon roses on my shirts or jeans pockets.
  8. I would like my shirts to be made from a cotton/modal blend or a polyester/spandex blend that doesn't cling to my love handles.
  9. If my t-shirt is going to have a print, I don't want the word "Love" or "Paris" written with a dove or a rose and other flowers.  I want a picture of a bicycle, or a raven, or a robot.  Or something else that says "I'm not 40 yet, and I don't think I'm a teenager.  I'm fun, and mature, and somewhat intelligent."
And for once, I would like to be able to buy a souvenir shirt or rock band shirt that fits me and is cut for a woman (shorter at the hemline and sleeve and tapered at the waist), instead of having to buy a men's version and have to cut out the collar make other, more feminine modifications.

Furthermore, I don't want to look in anymore catalogs, in "my section", and see a size 4 model trying to sell size 16 clothes.  Spare me.













I want clothes that look like this:















Men know what they want in clothes.  Look at this video for men's jeans:




Anyway, enough about that.  This is a good week.  Friday, I have orientation at the Post Office, so I can hopefully get on the hiring list; this morning, I was asked to interview at a local bank; and I got a phone call from a credit card company to ask if I would be interested in being a team supervisor.  Hopefully, I'll find a job I love, soon!!!


Here's the song of the day:



Peace in the Middle East!

No comments:

Post a Comment