Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Their Eyes Were Watching God

I think I've already been substitute teaching too long...... I asked Roger if we could start having "story time" at night!  We're reading, "Their Eyes Were Watching God," by Zora Neale Hurston.  This is a phenomenal story, written in 1937 about the life of a young black girl in the early 20th century.  The story is interesting to me, because the character lived in central and south Florida (Eatonville, Jacksonville, and the Everglades), and references the great Okeechobee Hurricane.  (I lived in Okeechobee for 20 years and own a house there.  My house is across the street from the dike, which was built as a result of the hurricane.)  Also, the author is an African American who lived in Ft. Pierce, which is where I lived when I was young.  

Start your own story time and read this book!  It provides good insight as to what it was like to be a young black person during the times of slavery, and then the abolition of slavery.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment