Saturday, January 26, 2013

Rent

I just heard this song when I was in the shower:


And, even though this song is supposedly about a "kept lover" who stays in a relationship because it's comfortable, I still love it and it always reminds me of Roger and I.  But, it has a different meaning for me.

When I met Roger, my finances were SUPER tight.  I had been a single mom for 17 years with no child support.  It's wasn't easy to get by and I had a lot of debt.  In a sense, Roger changed that "I'm so poor" mentality I had built up.  I had never stayed in a 5 star hotel before or ordered exactly what I wanted from a menu.  But it wasn't about the money- it was about the frame of mind.  Roger and I could be equally happy if we had nothing, but he taught me to not let money run my life.  And, he also helped me find ways to have fun and enjoy each other without money.  Plus splitting household finances helped me find financial light and took away a burden that would have put a strain on our relationship.

I taught Roger a thing or two, too!  For example, he now knows not to go to the convenience store and buy an $8 item when you can drive two blocks further and buy it for $2 at the grocery store!  :)  We are saving money for our Grand Adventures for the next 60 years!

So, here's my favorite line from the song: "Words mean so little and money less, when you're lying next to me."  Don't criticize it, just listen and enjoy!  And while you're listening, think of all the ways your life is rich!

1 comment:

  1. It's all about you !! ;)
    and we have more and better things to come !!\

    ReplyDelete