Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Happy Valentines Day.  When I was single, today was the day that made me the saddest.  I just wanted someone to love me.  I wanted a surprise delivery of a giant bouquet of flowers, with a mysterious love note attached.  Or a little jewelry box that held a trinket of affection.

Last year was the first year I ever had a Valentine.  Roger and I agreed to have a contest for who could give the cheesiest gift.  I gave him a body pillow with hearts and "I Love Yous" written everywhere, a generic box of chocolate with a cartoon bear and a card.  He won the contest, hands down, with a three-foot stuffed dog, a Mylar balloon and a two-foot card.

I'm not sure what the plan is for this year.

Anyway, all this time I was missing the love of the most important person- ME.  No matter what happens in life we should always love ourselves.  If we can't love ourselves, the person we are most intimately familiar with, how can we possibly truly love anyone else?

So along those lines, here is one of my favorite poems.  I printed it and put it by my bedside.  But I was always too busy and forgot to read it.  So, this week I'm going to work on starting that habit.  I hope you like it.....

I have to live with myself, and so I want to be fit for myself to know.
I want to be able, as days go by, Always to look myself straight in the eye.
I don't want to stand with the setting sun, And hate myself for the things I have done.

I never can hide myself from me; I see what the others may never see.
I know what others may never know; I never can fool myself, and so,
Whatever happens, I want to be self-respecting and conscience free.

In life, we sometimes have to make decisions that other people don't understand or approve/agree.  But we have to live with ourselves first; and if we always do what we think is right and just, then no matter what anyone else thinks of us, we can always stand in front of the mirror and like the person we see.

So, have a great day, love one another, and remember to always love yourself! (And no matter who you find yourself crazy-in-love with today, DON'T tattoo anyone's name on your body!)

Here's a song:

No comments:

Post a Comment