Saturday, October 27, 2012

Freebirds


This week started out slow, but gradually picked up momentum (thank goodness).  I was starting to be depressed because I thought I had nothing to do but unpack, and the only potential job at the beginning of the week was a $10 collector job for Citi, that is 20 miles away….
Anyway, on the way to the Citi interview, as I was climbing in my car, a homeless man was climbing into the dumpster 20 yards away from me.  Talk about a reality check.
So, after a swift kick in the butt, I got my groove back.  Roger and I finally finished most of our unpacking and actually hung some art last night.  (I panicked when I was in the shower and he made a comment about how happy he was because he found his push pins (tacks).  I envisioned getting out of the shower to find nine million posters randomly tacked to every square inch of our walls.  I’ve never washed my hair so fast in my life!!!!)
Anyway, we also went to our first building “function”- Oktoberfest.  I don’t feel like we fit in at all, but then again, I can’t think of anywhere where I feel like I fit in…… Not a pity statement- just the truth….
We also went out and had a wonderful time at Fionn MacCool’s .  We drank Magners (and Guinness) and sat outside by the river while a cover band played songs like “Heart of Gold” by Neil Young.  Great memories for life.  Another good feature about where we live is we can walk to go out.  Much safer than drinking and driving.
I also started my mission to find a signature cupcake, with absolutely no luck yet.  I made a SMALL batch every day.  I attempted a white cupcake with chili flakes, and chili butter cream icing with caramel sriracha- bad idea I might add.  I also tried banana cupcakes with pumpkin icing- much better choice.  And coconut cupcakes with coconut, chili, rum icing- another bad idea.  Oh well.  I won’t be entering cupcake wars any time soon.
Last night, we went to a fun place at Jax Beach called Freebirds.  Three local bands signed up to do cover songs of the Ramones, Nirvana and Social Distortion.  They did a great job!  The venue was cool, inexpensive, and not crowded.  There was also a costume contest.   Neither Roger nor I can hear this morning though.  We should have worn ear plugs.
Finally, the best news of the week is that Alex is coming to visit today.  We found a Greyhound ticket for thirty-five dollars.  Much cheaper than driving!  He’ll arrive at noon and I’ll take him home on Tuesday.  I can’t wait to hug his neck and show him around.  I was surprised that he liked my suggestion that we try out some different types of public transportation while he’s here.  Since he’s car-less right now, and potentially headed to UCF in Spring, I don’t want him to feel like he can’t exist without wheels.  Public transportation is fun and inexpensive (and better for the environment).  Plus experience with public transportation helps you get around anywhere in the world!
So, Alex had two requests for while he’s here- a movie and a home cooked meal.  Chicken Parm coming up!  He’ll be here soon, so gotta run.
COMMENT ON MY BLOG!!!!! PLEASE?!?!?!
 View 1 of costume in contest at Freebird's.
 View 2 of costume in contest at Freebird's.
 Jax street graffiti.
 View of our apartment.
 Park a short drive from our place.
 Roger at Freebird's.
View from our guest bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment