Monday, October 15, 2012

Hey, Caucasians!

Roger and I went for a walk this evening.  Our new apartment in downtown Jax is surrounded by huge bank buildings, abandoned apartment buildings and churches.  There are so many homeless people sleeping and drinking in the parking lots and doorways.  To be honest, I was a bit nervous as it started to get dark, and had to take off my jewelry and slip it in my pocket, because I was worried that someone would read about the crazy girl (me) who attacked the mugger who tried to steal my wedding ring.  I waited a long time for that ring, and I'm not about to give it up.

Anyway, so we're walking along, and we passed a homeless man on the other side of the street.  He was carrying his shoes and socks, and trying to look into all the windows and doors he passed.  I looked the other way, because I always try to stick by the theory, "If I can't see you, then you can't see me."  Well, that didn't work.  When we were about 20 feet away, I heard, "Hey, caucasian people!" (?!?)  "Hey, caucasians!  I'm talking to you!"

So, what's the appropriate response to that?  We just kept walking.......

No comments:

Post a Comment